I sincerely hope your families enjoyed a restful, worshipful Christmas break.
As we begin Quarter 3:
- Students cleaned out their papers this morning. Please ask them if any supplies need restocking.
- Students will be taking MAP winter testing next week in Language Arts and Math.
- In Language Arts this quarter, we will be doing a literature circles unit (students will discuss a variety of novels with their peers and put together a final project). In Grammar, we will be looking at sentences: structure, types, fragments, combining, and more. In Vocabulary, we are picking up with List 12.
- In Social Studies, we are studying China from about A.D. 600-1600. From there, we will branch into Southeast Asia. A favorite student project from this unit is our fictional Southeast Asian vacation - students research options and costs for hotels, airfare, attractions, etc. and plan an itinerary, then present to classmates, including video of highlights and music samples, etc.
- Finally, your 7th graders have met their class goal for Quarter 2 for Accelerated Reader! We will celebrate this Thursday with their much-anticipated reward, a class costume movie party. Students may bring refreshments for themselves or to share. Costumes will be worn only during our party, and if students decide not to dress up, they should stay in school uniform. Students' costumes should be school appropriate, which I discussed with them in detail today. For the new quarter, while Accelerated Reader continues to be ungraded, participants will earn bonus points (up to 15 pts.) towards their Language Arts grade if they have read and tested on two books and met their individual AR goals by the end of the quarter (March 24).